|Alert For Those Who Wear Dentures|
PSYCHOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF TOOTH LOSS
What to consider when Dad says...
|Does Your Elderly Parent Say...|
|"I am too busy to go to that party"|
"I can cook better at home"
"You go and have fun without me"
(San Diego, CA) MDTV - The psychological effects of tooth and bone loss are complex and varied. Nevertheless, in almost every case unpleasant side effects do exist and can range from minimal interference in daily life to a mindset of being neurotic. For centuries people with missing teeth have publicly “masked” their problems by wearing dentures. If you know someone who wears dentures, here is a list of common psychological happenings that may be occurring in their life:
- Most denture wearers feel their social life is significantly affected.
- They are concerned about kissing and romantic situations, especially if the partner is unaware of their oral handicap.
- Surveys indicate that not all patients are able to use their dentures and become frustrated and antisocial.
- Some individuals are “scared” in social settings to even talk or eat in fear of their denture failing.
- Since some individuals with severe bone loss are not able to use their dentures at all, they rarely leave their home environment. When they feel forced to venture out without wearing their teeth, the thought of meeting and talking to people is unsettling.
Being empathetic to a loved one with missing teeth is important. If you understand how you would feel in their shoes, helping to find a permanent solution is key. Keep in mind that any and all psychological effects may be prevented or corrected with dental implants. Suggestion: Consult only qualified dentists who listen and understand your physical, emotional, and financial circumstances. Email Questions for Dr Khazian .
About James Khazian, DMD, AFAAID, FICOI
Dr James Khazian, a general dentist, has practiced in San Diego and Escondido California since 1989. He is Clinical Director of Dental Implant Centers. Because of the experience and skill he has demonstrated in both surgical and restorative aspects of dental implant treatments, Dr. Khazian was awarded "Associate Fellow, American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AFAAID)" and "Fellow, International Congress of Oral Implantology (FICOI)", distinctions awarded to less than 1% of all dentists. He has extensive experience in single tooth, multiple teeth or full mouth dental implant reconstruction, with special attention to esthetic considerations. He has been performing immediate load dental implants with a success rate of close to 100%. In addition to providing his San Diego County patients with the “teeth in a day” option and other implant solutions for missing teeth, loose dentures, or faulty bridgework, Dr Khazian contributes Direct To Consumer Education (DTCE™) to the California Public as an MDTV® Select Dental Implant Expert. He provides viewers MDTV® Medical Messages on NBC, MDTVNews.com, and MDTVSanDiego.com. Dr Khazian invites everyone to learn and share educational dental implant comments or their news with him on www.MDTVSanDiego.com by simply posting a comment. New patient inquiries are always invited. Please RSVP Dental Implant Centers in San Diego or Escondido or call 866-4-MYSMILE .
Please Please Login to submit a comment.